Monday, July 31, 2006

Sketchbook

I'm just a few pages away from finishing my very first sketchbook. It's lasted me about one semester -- I started it at the end of March, and it is now the end of July. It's been a good haul! It took me a while to suck it down and stop drawing on both sides of the paper. The ink and marker pieces really helped that since all the colour bleeds through.

I've got a different little sketchbook waiting in the wings for its chance, but I'm going to miss this one.

I was thinking about the stacks of paper I've been filling with art for the past 15 years. I go through my old sketches sometimes, looking for inspiration, and I seldom find it. It's a little cool and a little scary to realize that the work that I am doing right now is the most innovative and exciting stuff I've done for a long time. It's scary because I'm not sure that what I'm doing right now IS all that exciting or cool! But I guess it's hopeful in that in five years, when I look back at my first little sketchbook, I'll probably think that its contents are boring -- which will mean that whatever I am doing then will be that much more exciting! And I can't wait to get there!

I will post moar art later in the week -- I'm raiding tonight and I have no scanner at work (just as well, really). I have a couple more life sketches from my journal to post, another caricature or two and a couple silly WoW one-panels. But in the meantime, I've got to get cracking -- those last few sketchbook pages are eager to be filled!

No comments: