Thursday, December 07, 2006

Poannng!



I experimented a bit more with watercolours this weekend. This time I tried to paint more of a scene than a single object (although it's still a still life). This is my favourite chair, where I have coffee in the mornings and like to read and knit at other times. It's a Poang chair from IKEA. My husband and I each have one, and they don't really match. I'm sure that says something about us.

Anyway, there are a few things I like and dislike about how this picture turned out. I like the chair, and the contrast between the orange chair, yellow floor and green wall. I like the way I mixed the black (I have no black) and the way the reflections turned out on the armrests.

I don't like that I completely screwed up the underdrawing. Specifically, I don't like the part where I made the piano look weirdly tiny because I put it too close to the chair. I don't like the way the paint turned out on the piano. If I was going to re-do this, I'd ignore the piano, the fuzzy white cube you can barely see on the right, and maybe the lamp. It would be a stronger composition with just the chair.

I'm pretty neutral about the floor. Neil likes it. He says the blotchiness is a nice effect.

By the time I was done with the chair, the natural light in the living room was fading fast. It's December and the sun sets pretty early here. I wish I'd made the colours more varied and interesting... but I'm not quite at the point where I'm ready to go crazy with shadows. And to be fair, my furniture is fairly bland.

No comments: