Friday, May 19, 2006

The Art of Caricature

I'm still plugging away at it. I swear, I did SO many searches for Sarah Michelle Gellar that Google thinks I am a stalker now. I got one semi-decent drawing out of it that, on second look, actually looks more like Sarah Jessica Parker. Victory it isn't.

The nice people on the forum where I posted my image for C&C suggested that I ought to start by trying to draw someone who is more lumpy. I decided to take their advice before disturbing Buffy dreams started coming my way. So without further ado, here is my first attempt at Adam Savage from Mythbusters.

So we've got a reference photo:



aaand a scary portrait:



aaand a not-so-scary caricature:



I think it sorta maybe looks like him. Go me! I clearly ought to put in more work on portraits, though.

The interesting thing is that I had to squash the drawings a bit because the angle at which I end up holding my sketchboard means that the drawings all end up oddly elongated. I should really clean all the crap off my drafting table so that I can set the drawing surface at an angle and eliminate my problem.

No comments: