Thursday, November 01, 2012

International Self-Portrait Day


Actually managed to paint an acrylic self-portrait this year. One that looked sort of not unlike me. Last year the painting was so bad that I had to scrap it and do a speedpainting in the evening when the light had completely gone.

This is the fourth year that I've done this.  You can see other people's portraits in this thread on ConceptArt.org. This is the second year that I've done a self-portrait from life and not photos. I would like to do an ink or pencil crayon portrait sometime but it has to be done in its entirety on November 1st and I think those media are way too slow to do something with.

This year I tried to do a very stylized, flattened portrait and although I'm not sure it entirely worked out, it was something new and I actually quite like the original.  I had to assemble the scan from five different pieces, since it was too dark outside to photograph it properly.  I might play around with this style of portrait some more.

It'll be interesting to do this for six more years and see the changes both in myself and my artwork.

For reference: 2009 2010 2011

...Man I need a haircut. 

No comments: